How often should duct cleaning be performed?
If Duct cleaning is done properly, it should be cleaned every 3-4 years. However if any of these factors come into play, you should have your ducts cleaned every 1-2 years.
- You live in a new construction site
- How many pets you have
- How much carpeting is in your home
- You live near a highway
- If you've recently done home renovations
- Home/lifestyle cleanliness
- Family has allergies (dust, dander, etc.)
Or your personal preference to any of the above factors may mean you want to have them cleaned yearly. It is always best to ask companies (when getting a quote) how they do their cleaning. This is very important when hiring a Duct Cleaning Company.
What are the most common problems you see with homeowner's ducts, just dirty?
- Home owners not changing furnace filters on a regular basis
- Kids putting toys, cards, etc. down the vents blocking airflow
- Poor duct design (lots of turns and bends in ducting) which will reduce airflow to home
- Debris left from construction/ renovations
What can the average homeowner do to maintain the cleanliness of their ducts?
- Change their furnace filters regularly
- Cover vents when doing renovations i.e. drywall & hardwood (cutting/sanding)
- Vacuuming regularly
- Cleaning Ducts on a regular basis
What makes ducts dirty?
The indoor environment (carpet, pets, skin, hair, etc.) and the outdoor environment coming in (dirt/mud on shoes etc.). As humans we shed thousands of cells of skin each day as well as hair, and other indoor factors. This moves around your house and gets sucked into the return vents, what ever your furnace filter traps it traps and what ever it does not trap gets circulated through the supply side of the duct work and back into the home. This cycle will repeat itself over and over again.
How do I know if or when my ducts are dirty?
- A good indication would be your furnace filter being dirty more frequently
- Visibility of lots of dust on return vent grilles
- Needing to dust around the home more often
What happens if homeowners do not clean their ducts?
- Could result in poor airflow throughout the home
- Strain on furnace as it has to work harder
- Dirt in home and ductwork just keeps getting circulated around therefore causing a lot more dust in home & possibly a poor indoor environment
- Possibility of mould and spores and bacteria growing in ductwork